Saturday, February 2, 2013

Think Positive, Be Positive, Live Positive


Of all of the things I have learned during my life, one of the most important lessons is being positive.  Being positive impacts every aspect of your life every day.  To me, attitude is everything.  They way you feel and how you portray yourself to others has an impact at work, with professional connections, at home, with your friends, your children, family members, complete strangers, etc.



At a very young age I learned to redirect my energy through judo. It started at judo and eventually I could use exercise to deal with negative energy. At the end of a hard workout I feel WONDERFUL. It's like I am able to restart from a better place. Being healthy is one thing. A peer of mine, Dan Capizzo, discusses how important it is to keep the mind trained. Living at the Olympic Training Center and training with elite athletes really taught me how to use my mind and body together and my recovery from stressful situations (i.e. training for high level tournaments, pursuing Olympic dreams) became almost instantaneous.

Being a positive force takes time and dedication. It started with  USA judo and exercise and eventually became a way of life for me.  For over ten years I worked at a job that was high stress.  I found myself dreading going to work. I stumbled upon a book, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People."  With so much in common with the book I started to apply it into my daily life.  Next, I attended a Society for Human Resources Management Conference.  Tony Hsieh, the CEO of Zappos, was a presenter.  He gave an inspiring speech with such honesty. He talked about his journey through life, work, and events he sponsored for Delivering Happiness.  On the plane home from the conference I was reading his book, Delivering Happiness, and since then I've been a supporter of constant happiness since. It's odd that one encounter gave me the motivation to change. My change was getting a new job.  I moved to a company where I have no stress. Removing one stressor allowed me to find happiness everywhere else. 


I try to approach EVERYDAY with a positive attitude. If my day starts going astray I will literally say "this is not going to happen (red cape on)," I try to refocus my energy and keep going as positively as possible.  I've found that if you let things go downhill the slide is quick and not an enjoyable ride. If my day isn't the best I follow it with a great workout. Sometimes it is on the treadmill, sometimes it's at Zumba. I was lucky to find a way to redirect my negativity to positivity.  I hope you have been able to find this too. 

6 comments:

  1. Emily nice post! For most people change is good. It is taking those initial steps that are a bit scary. However, unless you take those steps you will be stuck in the same situation day in and day out. You took those steps and the heaviness of life started lifting and life became more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing! Experiences like this help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that my story helps encourage others. The only thing I can do is stay positive and KEEP ON LIVING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercise is a great way to blow off stress...I wish I'd learned that earlier in life! That, and to have a positive attitude. I was one of those gloomy, angry teenagers - but eventually I realized that I didn't have to be. I could choose to be happy, and so I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judo is a great sport and way to relieve stress. I agree that keeping a positive attitude is not only important mentally, but it is an important aspect in physical health also. What are some of the steps you take while in the middle of a stressful day to try to cool down when things seem overwelming?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I am in the middle of a rough day I start by taking a few deep breaths. If that doesn't work I'll shrug my shoulders up to my ears and hold for ten counts, relax and do that again a few times. I try my hardest not to let myself go downhill. It's a choice to stay positive and when my day starts going the wrong way I try my hardest to maintain my positive attitude and see the bright side of things. If a project or something I'm working on is causing me stress I'll set it aside (if time permits:) and go back to it when my mind is clear. What works for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I love your positive message!

    ReplyDelete