Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Family Unit


I have two children. Ava is six and Lincoln is four.  Since being graced into parenthood I have learned how different my children are. Ava is a girly girl and Lincoln (we call him Linc) is a rough and tumble little boy.  I've learned that having a family is a balancing act. First you are caring for an additional person who relies on you for their EVERY need. Adding another child into the game plan was truly a balancing act.  For me, it was a matter of timing so that I could tend to both children. As the kids have gotten older they have become involved in activities which keep us busy at least six days a week.  Ava has Catechism, Pom and Ballet. Linc wrestles two days a week and we have a tournament each weekend...AND the puppy has training at Petsmart.

 It is hard enough meeting the demands of this schedule....then it changes(red cape and tiara are ready for action). It is not uncommon for Linc's wrestling club to change the practice days. Kids get sick and other things come up.  Having children made me realize that it really does take a "village of people." to raise them.  My husband and I both work full time, I have school, and I HAVE to work out (not only for health reasons, but to clear my mind).  Between the two of us we often cannot meet the demands of these activities.  Many of them start before we get out of work.  This is when we turn to "TEAM BERGER!" 
Team Berger: Mom, Dad, Ava, Linc, Grandma, Dzia Dzia, Aunt Heather, Gong-Gong, Po-Po, & many stand ins

Grandma picks up the kids from school and day care, feeds them dinner, takes them to dance, and waits for me to arrive. Aunt Heather drops the kids off at school in the morning. We call in reinforcements when the kids are sick, there is no school or there are snow days.

I must admit that my husband and I are fortunate to have a family that is so willing to help out WHENEVER we need them.  It is nice to know that we can "call in a favor."  Our support system allows us to get the kids where they need to be and they don't miss out on the fun things life has to offer. To our "team unit," THANK YOU! 



No comments:

Post a Comment