Monday, June 8, 2015

Your Only Limit is You


Your only limit is you. This is something that resonates with me deeply, especially recently. I competed in judo as an elite athlete. I dropped out of the sport for a while. I made several attempts to return, but it just didn't happen. After I had kids my time was dedicated to them and I felt guilty for leaving them because there are so few hours you can spend with them each day. About two years ago the kids made the transition into judo and I was able to return to the mats. It's amazing how much I missed it and I didn't realize it until I was able to get to practice.

The kids started competing this year and after a 15 year break I returned to competition. I cannot believe how nervous I get when it comes to competing. I don't remember being this nervous when I competed when I was younger. Then I made the realization that I am ONLY fighting myself. Now how to I get past this? Repetition is key, but the kids also help cut the edge. It's hard to be nervous when tiny little people are asking me for things and constantly by my side. Their hugs and kisses also help. RADIO ON WORLD OFF also helps when it comes to competition. Although, this is a little harder because I have to tend to tiny needs (which never end....and that's okay <3).

This idea also resonates with me when I work out.
Yes, we all have good workouts and we all have bad. Yes, the trainer can push me a little harder and can bring me back to class if I've wandered off. At the end of the day it's really me that needs to PUSH MYSELF. Do you give up, or do you do one more? My philosophy is that you only have so much time to put in at the gym, at practice or working out. You should make the most of EVERY moment. When I hear the time called out I try to push myself to the end of each exercise.

Do you agree with this statement? How do you push past it? I just try to remember that I DECIDE what I'm going to do or not do. When I am able to push past my limit if feel ACCOMPLISHED.

No comments:

Post a Comment