Monday, June 1, 2015

Injured?

Ok.....who is injured?
Or trying to convince yourself you are not hurt? Working out with injuries has been a normal part of life for me. I did judo growing up and this is a  year-round sport. You really can't take time off and miss major events. I've been trained to work through injury. I'm not saying it's right, it's just what I'm used to. I feel like for the past year I have been plagued with injury. I broke my foot, followed by a heal spur and tendinitis in my knee. All this and I still can't stop working out. Who's with me on this? Even when I broke my foot I still worked out with my ortho shoe on. I was doing single leg burpes and creating circuits. As soon as I could wear tennis shoes I started doing the elliptical machine.

I HATE modifications, but I hate missing a work out even more. What do you do to get past injury? I will admit that sometimes you do just need to take a day off, or some time off.
You need to recognize what your limits are. If you do group workouts it's important to find a trainer who will make modifications to accommodate you. It is also important to try to figure out what triggers the injury. Of course, make sure to make modifications to ensure you do not further injure yourself and hopefully allow you more time to heal.You need to be smart and seek medical attention when necessary.

We all get injured, it's a part of being human. It's just a matter of recognizing the severity of the situation and either taking it easy or getting a medical opinion. Either way, let's try our hardest to avoid injury. I'm sure we can't completely avoid this, but we can try to help ourselves by warming up, cooling down and using proper form.


No comments:

Post a Comment